Friday, April 8, 2011

Steering stops

It's difficult for privateer competitors to fully develop their vehicles in a vacuum. Even after years of active use, I find myself poking through some of the parts manuals that Volkswagen had provided for both their 2nd and 3rd generation Golf platforms.

Both prep manuals show spacers on the steering rack, and after incorrectly implementing them, I've realized they're primarily there to limit steering rack travel.

Evidence of tire contact on the transmission and/or brake lines in the wheel well sometimes appears, but I hadn't connected the two until this weekend while replacing the steering rack.

If you have bare spots where your tires have been rubbing inside your wheel wells, some spacers will prevent that, as well as take a bit of strain off your CVs.

Contact me for more information on the where/what/how of installation...

No comments:

Post a Comment